2016 Writing Competition
Official Rules and Entry Information
Thank you to all who entered!The deadline for the 2016 Writing Competition is behind us. Next year’s competition will begin accepting entries in June 2017.
- The contest is open to all writers, editors, publishers, photographers, artists and others whose work falls into the designated competition categories.
- Members and non-members may apply.
- Member fees accepted for members in good standing by May 1, 2016.
- Only original work published during the competition period from September 1, 2015 through August 31, 2016 will be accepted.
- Reprints, revisions, updates of previously published work are not eligible.
- An entry may be submitted in only one category. Exception: A book containing art may be submitted in a book category and in one or more art categories and requires two or more entry fees.
- Magazines, newsletters and blogs must be published at least quarterly.
- Submissions begin July 1, 2016. The contest closes August 31, 2016.
- All entries must be postmarked or submitted online no later than Friday, September 9. 2016.
Discounted Member entry fees are accepted for members in good standing as of May 1, 2016.
REGULAR CATEGORY ENTRY FEE
SPECIAL AWARD CATEGORY ENTRY FEE
Special Award Entries
- Special Awards are made possible through the generosity of individuals and organizations, and consist of cash grants as noted in the Special Award list.
- Special Award Sponsors are not involved in selecting winners.
- Special Award entry MUST ALSO BE entered in a regular category.
- Hard copy or online submissions are acceptable.
- Publication name and date must be visible on each entry.
- All information must be legible.
- Online entries will receive email confirmations.
Two Ways to Enter
Payment of entry fees will be collected via Paypal with all online entry forms. Submissions for online entries may be submitted digitally on the entry form, or via US Mail. If mailing your submission, please be sure to include a copy of your Paypal receipt in the package, so we may easily match up your online entry with any mailed items.
ENTER BY MAIL
If you wish to avoid online payment, please use the Mail-in Entry form, and include a check or money order payable to DWAA.
Additional Instructions for Hard Copy Entries Submitted by Mail:
- REGULAR CATEGORY: One entry form plus four copies of submission.
- Magazines, newsletters, club publications and blog posts: Two issues required. Submit four sets of two issues.
- SPECIAL CATEGORY: Additional copy of entry form plus two additional copies of submission.
- Articles submitted by mail must be clipped from magazines, newspapers, newsletters, or printed from online sources.
- Those who entered online must include a Paypal receipt in your package, to easily match up your mailed items with your online entry.
- Those who did not enter online need to include the Mail-in Entry Form and a check or money order payable to DWAA.
- Mail entries to Arden Moore, DWAA Contest Chair, 726 Deep Well Drive, Allen, TX 75002
- Entries must be postmarked/received by Friday, September 9, 2016. No late entries will be accepted.
- Entries cannot be returned, and all material becomes the property of DWAA for the purposes of administering the contest.
- PLEASE DO NOT REQUEST SIGNATURE FOR MAIL RECEIPT.
- DWAA is not responsible for entries lost in transit.
- Entrant is responsible for complying with all rules and guidelines. Deviation may result in entry rejection and forfeiture of the entry fee.
- DWAA maximum liability is limited to refund of the entry fee.
- If the work is entered in the wrong category, DWAA reserves the right to make the correction, at the discretion of the Contest Chair, upon notification to entrant.
- Entries may be made on behalf of someone else, but the name of the person creating the work must be listed as the entrant. The entrant’s and submitter’s address and contact information are required.
- All names and contact information of co-creators are required.
Judging and Awards Information
- A panel of three judges scores each entry. Judges consist of DWAA members and non-members who are professional writers and editors. Judges’ scores determine the nominees and winners. Judges may enter the contest, but will not judge entries in categories they enter.
- Judges’ decisions are final. A list of judges will be posted August 15, 2016.
- Nominees will be notified after December 1, 2016, and posted to the website beginning December 15, 2016.
- Winners will be announced at the DWAA Awards Banquet held in New York City in February 2017, with a specific date and location to be announced soon.
- Nominees in the regular and special categories receive certificates. Winners of regular categories receive the DWAA Maxwell Medallion, named in honor of the late Maxwell Riddle. Winners of special categories receive cash awards as listed.
Share this Page
66 Adams St.
Jamestown, NY 14701
Eastern Time Zone Email Susan
“As you know I was completely surprised when you announced my name as the 2014 winner of the Best Children’s Book category for my book, Maggie Goes to Maine.
We decided to come to New York for the banquet because I felt so honored just to be a nominee. Needless to say I am thrilled and have enjoyed showing my beautiful Maxwell Medallion to family and friends.
Please extend my sincere thanks to others in the Dog Writers’ Association of America.”Betsey Anderson