About ruff DRAFTS
ruff DRAFTS is the quarterly newsletter of the Dog Writers Association of America, by and for its members. Only you can make this newsletter “newsy.”
Every issue contains a report from the officers, but the newsletter depends on our members for additional submissions.
Suggested content to submit:
- Articles, tips, Q&As, material on the craft and business of writing about dogs, and getting published.
- If you know another member who has something worth sharing, why not interview them for the rest of us?
- Letters to the editor on anything you see or want/don’t want to see in the newsletter
- Photos, illustrations (both which could also be used for covers) and cartoons
- Filler pieces about dogs or dog writing
- Short humor, because we can all use a laugh
- New member bios and photos
- Content for the “About our Members” page. Send news about you–speaking engagements, recent awards, honors, personal milestones such as marriage, births, degrees, retirement)—you know, the stuff we like to read about one another.
- As always, submissions should run 1,000 words or less. We prefer them in MS Word, if possible, for ease of editing. Pictures are truly appreciated and should be at least 300 dpi. If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
Questions about ruff Drafts can be sent to Merrie Meyers, Ph.D., our ruff DRAFTS Newsletter Editor. Email Merrie
For the last two years, we’ve issued a call for newsletter submissions; articles, pictures, poetry and cartoons, that support a theme specific to that issue. This year, we (your editorial team) thought we’d adopt an overarching focus, a series of four issues, all focusing on the same theme of Time. By announcing the theme and specific focus for each issue throughout the year, members can keep the theme in mind and identify pieces of their work that they can plan to submit throughout the year.
The theme for 2020 is Time. The focus for each of the issues and deadlines is as follows:
- Theme: Looking Forward- Hopes, Dreams and Plans for the Year Ahead
- Submission Deadline: January 10, 2020
- Publication Date: February 1, 2020
- Theme: Making Plans-Moving Forward, Pacing Oneself, Goal Setting
- Submission Deadline: July 3, 2020
- Publication Date: August 1, 2020
- Theme: In an Instant- Delightful Surprises and Unexpected Events
- Submission Deadline: April 3, 2020
- Publication Date: May 1, 2020
- Theme: Reflections- Sharing Meaningful Moments
- Submission Deadline: October 2, 2020
- Publication Date: October 31, 2020